I wrote this back at the start of the first lockdown…
With so much pain and anger in the world right now, the paywall is back down. I can’t afford to do it (Patreon is most of my income, Amazon takes an insane 55% of my profits when I sell a book through their site – and we have to pay for shipping), but there are people right now losing everything. There are people in need.
Stay home. Stay safe. Be kind.
Stop wasting time. Stop following the shoe or following the gourd. Practice, get good and be ready – because when this is over the world is going to need banjo players. We may not have the sexiest of jobs in the music world, but we make mothers dance with their babies. We sing songs that draw deep emotions. We carry the traditions – the real traditions that use music , food, stories, fellowship, laughter to remind us that we are all one family.
If you can send a buck my way on Patreon, it would help. Also, if you are of a mind, spread the word about my music on Spotify and other platforms.
If you can’t help, I’ll teach you anyway. It may be impractical, but it is true to the man I am trying so hard to be.
Stay safe. I love you all.
We will be shutting down the Wednesday Night Banjo and Donut Marching Society over the holidays. Dear Old Dad and I will make a final decision about the ground in January.
- The How and the Tao of Old-Time Banjo
- A Book of Five Strings
- The How and the Tao of Folk Guitar
- The Outlaws and Scalawags Songbook
- Songs For Sunday
- This Is Not A Banjo
- Four Seasons On Brick Kiln Road
- The Mechanics of Frailing Banjo
- The Crisfield Folk Musicians Retreat Songbook
- Just This Banjo
- Frailing Banjo Backup Patterns and Licks
- One Finger Guitar
- Country, Folk, Bluegrass and Old-Time Rhythm Guitar Basics
- Calloused Ears: Tips on how to play the banjo “by ear”
- Basic Frailing